In the world of saltwater angling, offshore fishing is one of the most adventurous and highly-acclaimed pursuits you can find. The boats are bigger, the water is deeper, the fish are stronger, the hours are longer, and the investment is greater; in time, money, and energy. Those who invest in offshore pursuits are generally in it for the long haul. If youâ€™re just getting started in the offshore world, you should know some basic sea fishing tackle tips to make your time on the deep sea more efficient.
Sea Fishing Tackle Tips
- Keep your fishing tackle organized onboard! It will spare you a headache when you find the urgent need to change out tackle.
- Use stainless steel wire leader when targeting fish with sharp teeth such as kingfish, barracuda, mackerel, and sharks.
- For other species, a heavy fluorocarbon leader line such as 60 to 80-pound test should be sufficient. If the fish is leader-shy, shoot for the lighter-weight.
- If bottom fishing, use braided main line with test strength of 50 to 80-pounds and a leader longer than 20-feet. Rig with heavy lead weights to sink bait to the bottom.
- For trolling, the reel should be loaded with monofilament for the main line. Use large diving lures with a lip to troll deepwater or use a topwater or popper lure to attract fish near the surface.
- Keep a pitch bait rod handy to cast live bait at fish near the surface.
- Bucktail jigs are an offshore staple, keep a rod rigged with a bucktail for moments when you need to cast quickly.
- Use skirts or dusters to give your bait more life-like action.
- Of all sea fishing rig tips, pre-rigging leaders is highly recommended. Time is of the essence when youâ€™re â€śin the fishâ€ť and it may be the only shot you get all day. Pre-rig your leaders and spare yourself the fumbling fingers onboard.
Now that youâ€™re studied up on these key sea fishing tackle tips, youâ€™ll need to purchase your fishing license. If youâ€™re already licensed, check out more sea fishing rig tips such as deep sea knots or saltwater fishing rigs. Happy fishing!